I am completely wound up today. A local friend, Tina Weeks, came over today to drop off my son from a sleep over, and was complimenting the lines of our house. I explained to her that we go back and forth with our “next step.” We need more room – at least better accommodations for our daughter – stuck in a small dormer room and better places for guests – a real master bedroom and there’s definitely things we could do to make it easier to entertain, which we very much enjoy.

We have toyed with the idea of knocking down our garage, which is a separate structure to accomadate a large addition– since we can’t seem to find an existing home in Tillamook on the market that we like enough to warrant moving. If we move, it is going to have to be to a home we build. Tina lives in an area on the east part of town just at the base of these hills that look over Tillamook valley. She told me that there are several 2 acre lots up on that hill for sale – which would mean a view of Tillamook, the bay in the distance, the farms, etc. One of the best views in the area, short of living on the Ocean, which I don’t see us doing in the sort term. (we like Neskowin but are fairly wed to this community for now).

I told Chuck on hearing Tina describe the lots that we were going for a drive – and we loaded up the mamamobile with the kids and dog and headed for the hills to check out the lot. I LOVED THEM. What a view! I’m ready to make an offer. They are two acre lots – and I know enough of the neighbors to know I would like my children to live there. We now live across the street from a multiple convicted child molester and across the street from an apartment building with parolees housed in it. Advantages are location to a coming soon fancy Safeway, and being very, very close to the elementary school, YMCA and Chuck’s office. I also really like a lot of features about the house we are in – including lots of built in storage, and inlaid original hard wood floors. Despite this I got home and called my mortgage broker to ask what are options are for buying the lot and Candy to see about the advisability, and left a message with our realtor. All systems are go. I sent Chuck back to the location to get the numbers to call and we left messages with him too. I think we want to secure the lot we like the best (sewer, water, power, etc already setup) and then figure out how to go about building in the next couple of years.

Here are my goals for our home:

1. A large, light kitchen, with a “bar” to sit next too and room for a very large farm style table. The table will be the center of the house – homework, family games, and family meetings, drinking wine with the girls, craft projects, and poker games with our friends. If we can fit a big table like this in the kitchen and the kitchen is big enough, I don’t know that we even need a dining room. We are not formal entertainers, we tend to serve beer and little smokees in front of the game or host fish fry barbeques in the summer.
2. A big yard. The kids need to be able to play ball, we like entertaining outside.
3. Outdoor fireplace and hot tub.
4. I would like the kitchen to be open to a family room – when I’m making dinner or 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce like I did last Monday night – I want to be able to interact with those on the leather couches.
5. The leather couches will be set in a big family room – with a game table, our big screen and lots of rooms for friends to gather on Saturdays in the fall and watch college football (if you can’t beat them, join them – Beavs had a good day today coming back from a 30-13 deficit to beat the undefeated Cougars by 4). Although can I take a short break here to tell you how frustrating it is when I cannot get chuck’s attention to talk about the lots because he’s watching football???
6. Our master bedroom doesn’t have to be huge, but my closet does as does the Jacuzzi tub.
7. A kid zone – bedrooms and a big playroom that will accommodate the video game consoles, foosball tables, etc that are sure to be part of our lives for years to come. We want all the kids in the neighborhood to want to be at our house and feel welcome. Not because we covet chaos, but so we know where our kids are and get to know their friends. We also have many close friends who's kids are our kid's bestest buddies. Ideally when we have the whole gang over the kids will have someplace seperate to play allowing the adults to visit without screeching kids running laps through the kitchen like we now enjoy.
8. An office for me to work from home. With broadband access.
9. A place to do crafts for me! (sewing room?)
10. A place for Chuck to store and play all those flippin’ guitars.
11. Office space for Chuck.
12. A comfortable place for guests. With their own bathroom, somewhat distanced from the family areas. We love guests.
13. Lots of wood - exposed beams on the ceilings - lots of window light. Solid surface counters. Two ovens! Lots of storage. Energy Efficient and water tight.
14. A big stone fireplace.

Shouldn’t I have this?

Comments

Popular Posts