Please do the Smeddling, and don't forget to hide the socks.

I had one of those moments today where I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes and could barely breathe. I had trouble regaining control. Unfortunately it was at work and now everyone probably thinks I am insane. I got a call from Samantha. I left her at home this morning with a list of chores. Aunt Vicky and Uncle John are coming and I want the house to be cleaned up for them.

Samantha called to complain that Charlie's chore list was much shorter. Charlie's been out of town, landed around midnight last night, and wasn't going to be home until mid morning. Samantha was also a much bigger part of making the mess, so this particular time, I asked her to do more.

"All he has to do is put away the play station and HIDE THE SOCKS?"

This is the point at which I started to loose it. Do you know how sometimes you leave clutter somewhere for so long you fail to see it anymore? You probably don't... you are probably much neater than my family, but for several weeks now we have had a growing collection of unmatched socks in the dining room. As I was leaving for work, and noticed THREE LAUNDRY BASKETS FULL of these single socks and I thought, Christ, that's embarrassing and quickly added "Hide the socks" to Charlie's list. It wasn't until Samantha called me to talk about the disparity of their lists that I realized how stupid it was that "hide the socks" needed to be on the Aunt Vicky's coming to-do list.

Sam was further aggravated by the last item on her list - which she could not decipher. The closest she came was "Smeddling." I honestly don't remember what it said, since I'm running on just a few hours sleep today and jotted that around 1 am.

"All Charlie has to do is mess around with the play station and hide socks, I not only have all these chores, I have to figure out what smeddling is before I can even do it."

I'm still laughing.

update! - it Was 'Shredding'! We had gone through a bunch of financial papers this week and purged. Needed a bunch of documents shredded! phew. Not being able to figure that out was actually a bit annoying.

Comments

John Hughes said…
Thanks for a major chuckle. Also reminded me that I needed to get caught up on my smeddling. Say hi to Vicky and John from us.
Unknown said…
Very funny! We have trouble with socks, and there are only two of us. I guess the sock eaters are active everywhere.
Vicky said…
I hadn't read the blog before we arrived. I saw the list on the counter and said "What's smeddling?" Who cares about socks! We got to see you!

Popular Posts