Poker Bust

So wanting to move quickly towards avoiding another disaster like that of the first out at No limits Texas hold’em night at Damien’s – I decided to TRY and organize a round two the following night at Mikki’s. She’s an amazingly indulgent friend, and while I loathe to take advantage of her unconditional love, me being last at anything, seemed important enough to impose and insist on using her house for tournament #2. I had one problem, however. I had a dinner obligation with my lead from our San Diego offices and one of my testers. Since he had flown to Portland, essentially for the opportunity to have this dinner, I had to go.

My ideal night was somewhat a repeat of the night before, with a slightly altered collection of folks. I needed Damien to show up with his chips (plus he's in an elite group of guys I hang out with who can give me as much crap as I dish out). I also wanted Kristina to show up, another work buddy who a) I think is cool, and b) knows what she’s doing.

And then to round out the game I invited my cosmogirlz and the varying collection of dudes I can always count on hanging around them. The stickler was that I proposed a 10 p.m. start time so that I could enjoy dinner beforehand. I knew this was going to be a problem with the work friends because we are basically bunch of old wusies.

I worked hard to overcome the concerns of being tired, (you can sleep this weekend! You are only 27!) and every other objection that came up. Man I worked hard on Kristina. By the end of a very lengthy IM’ing session I was assuring her everything from paying her entrance fee, promising her there would be a bunch of drunk women who didn’t know how to play and would be easy targets (this in fact was true), snacks, and I think I might have offered to buy her a TIVO so she could tape some show she was going to miss. Yikes. I had her teetering on the edge, I know I did, until Damien eventually piped in that he was out too and that I should relax about loosing or something like that. He should know me better than that.

For opposite reasons 10 p.m. was also a problem with the rest of the invitees. Although with the exception of Kruse, who said she had a hot date (only valid excuse I heard all day) I think they were for the most part game. But I completely failed to deliver the chips and the experts and 10 p.m. as it turns out, is well into happy hour for the rest of the crew. Too late for them, not because they were tired, but because they had long since been tarting it up at Cactus Jacks. We called Nell Anne and Jason at the bar and had a conversation that went something like this:

DEB: “Hey! It’s Deb. You comin over?”
NAO: “WHAAAAAAAAATUP? Get your butt down here.”
JASON: “We’re all at Cactus Jacks”
DEB: “Poker?”
NAO: “The kids covered? Get Joseph and Mikki get your butts in the car and get down here.”
DEB: “You having fun?”
NAO: “MAJOR!”

Sigh.
I went to bed. Old wusie that I am I was actually wiped out from a 10 hour work day and a late night before and slightly relieved at the thought of putting on my cute pajammies and slipping into Mikki’s daughter’s new bed. I was kind of over it after I couldn’t convince Damien and Kristina. Cousin John is going to be in VA. He is on a mission to turn Charlie into a card shark like himself (I think he frequently hits the card rooms in San Diego where he lives) and might be willing to offer Charlie’s mom a few tips as well.

Comments

Popular Posts