Looking for the perfect Pub and Grub

The folks I generally lunch with and/or hang out with after work are rebelling against Barleycorn's. I had to twist Nell Anne's arm the other day to join me for a Ruby and a salad after work and Damien said the food made him sick when I proposed it is a lunch location last week.

All I want is a place once a week where on my night off from being mom I can hangout, have a cold beer and good dinner after work at a relaxed and not too smokey atmosphere. I like to catch up with the friends willing to join me and perhaps as a bonus occsionally shoot pool or play dice. Shouldn't I have this?

I haven't tried any of these yet (except Giant Burger because it was so close to an apartment I lived in years ago and was perfect enormous messy burger for midnight muchies) but based on some local reviews I have read (along with a freinds echoing that Old Market is visit worthy) these have promise as after work or lunch time pub and grubs near my office:

Gemini Pub
456 N. State Street, Lake Oswego, Oregon
Tel: (503) 636-9445
Gubanc's Pub and Restaurant

Giant Drive Inn 503.636.0255 - probably just for lunch. Good burgers and shakes
15840 Boones Ferry Rd.
Lunch & Dinner daily

Old Market Pub and Brewery
6959 SW Multnomah Blvd
Portland, OR 97223-3439 (503) 244-0450
Cross Street: Garden Home Road

Known entites:
Stockpot - probably my favorite and most frequent choice. I'm stuck on the seared ahi and salad with the champagne dressing. Not entirely cheap, great food, fun late dinner after 9 holes at Red Tail on summer evenings.

Buster's- good bbq. Was a recent popular choice with the work crowd as a lunch choice.

Ringside - amazing happy hour menu - those little steak thingys for like a dollar make it a great choice, never had dinner there. Getting downtown is a pain. On the way to the farm, which is nice if I'm heading to mom's.

Tillicum - Great choice for total wind down after work. Turns out, good place to bare your soul to many old and new friends. Note to self, everyone doesn't need to know everything. Live blues music, good food - we enjoyed the patio last time. Can you say coconut shrimp?

Cactus Jack's. Only if I'm walking afterwards. A short distance. The bartender is too generous and heavy handed. Ouch. And don't go there for the food but if you really have a jones for video poker go. And take Nell Anne, she's lucky. Convenient to all the girlfriend's pads I have been known to crash at.

Huber's- beautiful. Worth the trip to see them pour a Spanish Coffee. But kind of feels like a 35 year olds' (+) pickup joint.

Portland Chop House - great dinner - nice booths. Won't entirely break the bank for nice downtown dinner.

El Gaucho's - probably my favorite Portland restaurant - certainly favorite steak house. $$$$ and still a pain to get downtown. Someone needs to take me there for my birthday. or maybe my 36 1/4 birthday. That'd be 9/30. ;-)

Chevy's - super salsa. Fun cocktail menu. Reasonably priced - location? I have only been to the one on 185th - which just isn't in my loop unless I'm headed home.

Applebee's - sounds lame but not horrid. Bit too many office dorks there, but doable. Very close to work. Convenient.

Benihana's - this place is fun and yummy. Charlie and Samantha's favorite place - but this isn't about them, is it? It isn't blogdeboskids. Its blogdebo. Forget Benihanas - we go there because they kids like onion volcanos, the proximity to Malibu and getting loaded up with new stories at Powells.

Koji's - I like hanging out in the bar with the girls of this one. NAO loves the saki, I love the sushi. Not friendly if you are avoiding carbs.

Anyone care to share another suggestion? Comment below or let me know...

Comments

Popular Posts