Tomorrow night I am hosting Pinochle for 12 women. Every year I work hard to outdo my previous efforts with food/prizes etc. with the end result being I’m a basket case by the time we play cards. This year’s menu:

Caramel Corn Snack Mix – The first year I served it the ladies went crazy for this. It has pretzels, pecans, popcorn and rice chex and it is covered with home made caramel and then baked. Despite serving some fairly complex dishes that year (chicken Florentine in pastry, etc) the one thing they coudln't get enough of was the silly caramel soaked cereal squares. Gotta serve it.

Spiced pecans – or mixed nuts – I spice pecans with a Rum glaze. Nice addition to the table. It is a given that each monthly host puts nuts and something sweet on each of the three tables.

Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole with Peas, Carrots, and Cheddar cheese – I’m trying a new dish. This crowd I suspect would enjoy this type of comfort food.
biscuits with honey and butter – thought it sounded good with the chicken casserole to have hot biscuits coming out of the oven.

Cornucopia Salad – another must serve to this crowd. This recipe shared by my sister in law is a favorite – candied almonds, oranges, two different kinds of leaf lettuce, avocado, apple and a nice vinaigrette.

Apple crisp and Vanilla Ice Cream – I was going to make a Dutch apple pie, but am not going to have time.

Strawberry Daiquiris – Why not?
Coffee
Tea
Soda
Because of various illness etc., I ended up needing four subs, so this evening I invited the Knutsens and my MIL over to share a pork roast Sunday dinner and give them an overview of partnership auction pinochle so that Beth and Joyce could sit in as subs tomorrow night.

Comments

Popular Posts