With our exchange student in the house the past week, I have been trying to be conscious of language patterns my family has that may be difficult to translate. We all talk too fast, for example, and have a bad habit of trying to talk over each other. I tend to be overly verbose...

Christian's English is excellent, but every now and then I know we're confusing and he either needs help understanding what we are saying or preferably would like to just tune us out. Some of the words that have come up are "Toothpaste", "Dishwasher", "Laundry" - domestic grooming vocab lesson was glossed over, I guess. What DOES translate, PERFECTLY, however is adolescent humor.

We went' over to the new sporting goods store recently, Dicks Sporting Goods,
and Christian was immediately giggling when Charlie started making jokes that come up every single time we go to the store. They never get old!

"This is a really big Dicks."

"This is one of the biggest Dicks I have ever seen."

"I love Dicks."

I was retelling this story to Chuck at dinner that night (he also loves teenage boy humor) and Christian said his favorite was Charlie asking, "Do you have Dicks in Germany?"

Comments

Popular Posts