To say I am glad to be home today, would be a vast understatement. I have been on the Wilson River Highway between Tillamook and Portland six out of the last seven days - and for three of those days it was a one day round trip. Interestingly it was also in five different vehicles.

Here's a recap:

Last Thursday - accompany Samantha's second grade class on a school bus to see the Boxcar Children (Gertrude C. Warner’s wonderful first adventure of The Boxcar Children comes to life again in this OCT Classic production) at Portland's Keller auditorium.

Last Friday - accompany Charlie's fifth grade class on a school bus to see the Boxcar Children (Gertrude C. Warner’s wonderful first adventure of The Boxcar Children comes to life again in this OCT Classic production) at Portland's Keller auditorium.

Last Saturday - Trade cars with Beth so that she can fit the three exchange students on her trip to Eugene to tour University of Oregon and drive Beth's car to the farm - mostly so Charlie can play with the power tools with Max to make a bow and arrow for a school project

Last Sunday - home from the farm.

Last Tuesday - drive the Toyota mamamobile to Portland to work (wondering, is the gear shifting feeling funny again?)

Last Wednesday - home from Portland

Yesterday mid-day - Back to Portland to take Charlie to the orthodontist. The car starts making a funny noise, which I finally get rid of by turning of OD. I never understand what OD was for anyway, how important can it be?

Yesterday afternoon - Two miles from the orthodontist - in the middle of Lake Oswego the car stops moving. Well, it does move, but only backwards because we are on a hill.

Yesterday a few minutes later - Even though I was stopped in the middle of a major street - I was really more concerned about Charlie's appointment. it is a huge production to get Charlie to the orthodontist, since he has to miss school, I have to make an extra trip to Portland and take time off work etc. Plus this kid is getting close to the end of his first two year round of braces and any missed appointment may jeopardize getting them removed.
I called the office and pleaded my case and they agreed to wait for half an hour if I could find a way to resolve my vehicular problems and get Charlie to them. However, I couldn't leave the car on the side of the road, it was pouring rain and I still needed to figure out eventually how to return to Tillamook. So I called Jennifer, my boss and dear friend!, who came and took Charlie to the orthodontist appointment while I waited for a tow. Charlie was in and out by the time the tow truck came.

Yesterday 45 minutes later - Charlie and I had an hour long ride with a very chatty tow truck driver (We both got a thorough education on his first wife's infidelities, subsequent suicide when he left her, his tour in the first Gulf War and how he met his current wife on a domestic disturbance call while working in an Emergency Room as part of his state side service with the Navy. Second wife Cheryl, ended up moving into our tow truck driver's home when her violent husband was killed in a DUI incident. There was some debate as to whether the tow truck driver could have saved the husband's life, which he wasn't eager to do after the domestic violence call. I kid you not. We both got ALL that information between the place where my vehicle stalled and Beaverton Toyota).

Yesterday pm - Mom and Candy met us at the Toyota service department and loaned us their Honda. It ran like a dream all the way home, so I'm loving it, but my son had many concerns about the quality of his ride. "Mom, really, let's rent a car. Look this one leaks!" It runs, it's free, we're taking it son. When I asked him where he learned to be such a princess he looked right at ME and rolled his eyes.

Comments

Popular Posts