Toast to the ones that we lost on the way

Samantha just sent me a link to a new Maroon 5 song called Memories. After listening to the song, I thought it was her having a moment. She does that. Here are the lyrics that jumped out at me:

Here's to the ones that we got
Cheers to the wish you were here, but you're not
'Cause the drinks bring back all the memories
Of everything we've been through
Toast to the ones here today
Toast to the ones that we lost on the way
'Cause the drinks bring back all the memories
And the memories bring back, memories bring back you

My daughter, and my family, has had more than our share of loss. January 19th it will be one year since Joyce Evelyn passed away. I haven’t handled this one well. I don’t think any of us have. About a week after she died, on a large group message on Facebook, someone accidentally hit video call. All of a sudden, something like 9 of us, including Joyce’s husband Darrin with their kids and her mom Jan were on a video call. I don’t think any of us knew this functionality existed.
Tim and I had gone out to Mexican food that night, I was consciously drinking too many Margaritas in an attempt to numb the grief. I promise that Joyce would have approved. The video call came about three Margaritas in. I was visibly under the influence of tequila - and immediately laughed at by the family. Fair enough.
The call was hilarious (probably even without the margs). Only the top of Jan’s forehead was visible while she chatted. My mom was on the call - understandably confused at what was going on and responding with her standard phone greeting, “are you ok?” (Not really mom, but we’re together).

It was a needed connection and a bit of levity in a brutal week.

The lyrics In Memories could not speak to that moment more effectively. Joyce was crazy crazy special. There for me and my children both before and after their father died in so many ways. She would release balloons with her kids for Uncle Chuck. Probably just because she hadn’t yet thought of drunk video conferencing with the Mundorff clan. 


Comments

samantha said…
she was in fact, not having a moment. Rather sharing a new song by one of your favorite bands.

Popular Posts