The awesome power of a teenage boy appetite as he gets out of a pool is something to see…

I started work at 8 this morning… to attend an early meeting. An hour and half into the workday - while I'm sitting in a conference room with coworkers, trying to earn a living and support my children, I get a phone call. "Mom, is there food at home?" 

I was caught a little off guard, still in work brain and not quite understanding what he meant as I'm doing a quick mental inventory of our pantry full of cereal, snacks, crackers, bread, peanut butter, and a fridge filled with fresh fruit, eggs, milk, lunch meats, etc (most of which I bought with them in tow at the grocery store). I'm also remembering the left over pork carnitas and cheeseburgers from meals this week in which the kids ditched me to hang out with their friends so I ended up with way more food than necessary and eating by myself in front of the TV.

"Sure - there's lots of food, son."

"No, I mean, is there something ready? If not, I'm going to stop somewhere. Did you make me breakfast?" 

I'll have to remember to leave work next time shortly before swim practice is out and run home and whip up biscuits and gravy or something. Cause he stopped and bought a burrito.


Comments

Popular Posts