Earlier this week I drove out to Churchill HS to see the Lancers and Sheldon Irish Varsity Softball matchup. On the way to the field I had to pull over and let three emergency vehicles pass with their lights and sirens on. 

I continued towards the game after they passed and grew increasingly distressed to see they were headed the same way I was. We have strong connections to both these teams – the Oregon Reign, a feeder team for Churchill SB, has become family. And as for Sheldon...turns out I like some of those guys too.

My heart was in my throat worried about the many people I knew to be on that ball field I care about hoping no one was hurt. I guess I’m still afraid, and may always be, of lights and sirens. It’s just never good news. A few blocks before Churchill, the ambulance and fire trucks stopped at the scene of a vehicle accident. I looked away. I showed up at Churchill a few minutes later and had to sit in my car until I stopped hyperventilating. This stuff just sneaks up on you at the most awkward times.


Comments

Popular Posts