Sunday night @ the Mundorff House

We started a tradition on Sunday nights at our house when we moved to Eugene. It started one evening after a long week at work when neither Chuck nor I could rally enthusiasm to put on a big Sunday dinner. We declared it "Appetizer Night." Can we get away with feeding these kids chips and dip for dinner tonight, we wondered? Yes! They loved it, so we kept doing it every Sunday night. Even if we have guests. Still don't think the kids suspect the origins of their favorite dinner was laziness. Chuck grew up with as a minister's son - and big Sunday suppers after Church - so I still haven't quite got offer the belief that I should be making pot-roast on Sundays. But I hate stringy meat.

We also enjoy family time on Sunday - games or a movie, usually. I proposed Scrabble this past Sunday but was voted down (3-1) in favor of poker. Sigh. Discovered my daughter's love for the game when she was 7 - and I was playing Texas Hold 'em with Chris and Charlie. Samantha wanted to play and I told her, "No, honey, we'll play a game you know how to play, like UNO, after I beat these boys.” She insisted that she knew how and wanted to be dealt in... so I acquiesced. She scooped up the pot a few minutes later declaring "queens over nines." She also won a tourney the next year with 10 players (.10 cent buy in per year of life). I finally asked her strategy - because it seemed she was bidding up the pot with nothing to go on, and she told us she was waiting "for that last lucky card." (Oh brother!)

A year into the move to Eugene we still have weekly Sunday Appetizer Night. My contribution this week was Hummus made with the VitaMix (thanks Candy!!). I bake pita triangles with a little olive oil and salt and serve it with this:

Hummus
2 15 ounce can chick peas (garbanzos), one drained, one undrained
1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon cumin

Place all ingredients in Vita-Mix container in order listed. Secure two-part lid. Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to #10; then to HIGH. Run machine for 1 minute or until smooth. If necessary, use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades while processing.



P.S. Charlie took the $4 as the big winner in Poker.

Comments

Popular Posts