I have been a bit of Lincoln junkie lately. I'm in the middle of Doris Kearns Goodwin's book on Lincoln's cabinet comprised of formal political opponents– Team of Rivals. I obviously admire Lincoln for his leadership during the Civil War and emancipation of the slaves – but the more I read about him, the more I'm drawn to his people skills and writing.

Wanting to share this with my kids, last night I ordered a Lincoln biography targeted at elementary school aged children. Tucking Samantha in last night I told her it was coming. When she asked about Lincoln, I told her he was the 16th president and one of my favorites.

She asked what president we were "on" now. I told her 43, my least favorite. She asked how many there were going to be. (Where do they come up with these questions?) I said that as long as we had the current form of government which I anticipated would well outlast her lifetime, we would have presidents. And then I added:

"Maybe you can be president someday."

She said she didn't think so and then asked, "Can womens be presidents? It seems like they are all men – Washington, Lincoln…"

yikes!

"Absolutely honey! Women can be anything they want to be!"

and she said, "I know something they can't be.".

"What?"

"Fathers."

Comments

Popular Posts